8.07.2008

Jeter Epilogue . . . .

Hopefully anyone watching the Yankees' sorely needed 5-3 win over the Rangers last night recognized one crucial element that led directly to the victory, and that was the clutch hitting performance of one Derek Jeter. Seeing the Captain go 2-4 with 2 RBI—driving in the go-ahead run in the third, then an important insurance run in the fifth—made one thing abundantly clear to me: Jeter obviously read my blog yesterday and decided it was time to step up and carry this slumping team.

Is it a coincidence that mere hours after I call him out, Jeter responds with two big hits to put the Yankees over the edge? Hardly. His run-scoring double deep to the gap in right center was vintage Jeter, something I've been longing to see for most of this season.

So, now I understand the magnitude of my blogging powers, no matter how painful they may be to write (I still love you, Derek. You just needed to hear the truth, now you can get back on track. I promise I'll come down and work out at your new 24 Hour Fitness gym on 26th st. Hmmm, maybe I should edit that last sentence. . . .).

And now I will direct this power at the next weekly Yankee goat, this time it's none other than A-Rod. Maybe the 3-time MVP is taking this "trying to be like Derek" thing a little too far, because he's hitless in the Rangers series so far, including knocking into a "Jeter-esque" three double plays in the last two games.

Come on, A-Rod. This is the stadium where you spent three years putting up Playstation-like numbers. You can't manage one hit? Just one? The Yankees have enough problems right now (I'm still in denial about most of them. Joba on the DL? I can't take it!) to deal with your ice-cold bat. I don't care if you need to listen to Papa Don't Preach, or better yet, Into The Groove, on your iPod before every at-bat. Whatever it takes, just get it done!

Now, let's see how much power this little blog actually wields. . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

check out the website for Jeter24.com

a bit of a surprise . . .